Friday 30 May 2014

If I was building again...

If I was re-building my unified whole house media server today, I think I would be using the following core components;


Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Motherboard
This is a step up from the UD5 currently in my system but crucially replaces the PCIe x1 slot with a full-length slot. This would allow me add an additional PCIe graphics card and therefore a 3rd client system with GPU passthrough.

AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2G)
This is the CPU I have right now and have no problems with it whatsoever. It's running the base unRAID / Xen OS plus multiple guest VMs with ease. Very impressed.


ARTIC Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
I have these in a few machines now. They're big but very quiet and very cool.

Corsair AX 760i Digital ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum PSU
An upgrade from my RM650, this offers a couple more SATA outlets which would reduce dependence on splitters and enable neater cabling.

32GB Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 DDR3 1600 Mhz Memory
Currently running 16GB which is fine for base system plus 4x VMs but adding another would require a RAM bump. Plus, I'd like to run a RAMdisk in my TVserver VM for timeshifiting. This would have better performance and free up another HD slot for use in my storage array

4x Asus ATI Radeon HD 5450 Silent Graphics Card
One for system boot and three for passing through to MEdiaportal client VMs. Chep as chips but perfect for up to HD video playback. And silent.

Digital Devices DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe
Digital Devices DuoFlex S2 Extension
Digital Devices DuoFlex CT Dual DVB-C/DVB-T Extension
These are the Satellite / Terrestrial tuners I currently use. Love them because I can get up to 8x tuners using only one PCIe slot.

Cooler Master HAF STACKER 935
And space to build it all!

I've just added that all up and it comes to over £1,300 / €1,600. Yikes! And this does not include a replacement for my M-Audio Delta 410 sound card, 4x SATAController  PCIe card, misc fans or any hard drives.

Have to figure out a way to better monetise this blog!

No comments: